Skip to main content

Are You Advertising Yourself Correctly?

I can't believe it has been a month since my last post, but then again, in that month I have moved, had a conference and had another child (ok, not me but my wife did). Needless to say, it has been busy. Plus our annual conference is 10 days away.

Anyway...

My move has given me the distinct pleasure of sitting/driving on I-66 in Virginia at rush hour. This has given me the opportunity to see many commercial vehicles on my commute. I am shocked at how many of them (vans, trucks, trailers, etc) have the company name and phone number, and that is it. No description. No website. I have also seen many with a tagline or description, but no website listed.

I don't know about you, but the first thing I do when checking out a business is go to their website. I googled a few of these companies to see if maybe they just didn't have a website (shame on them), but most did. (There were a few that didn't, and I will be calling them to offer my freelance web design services.) So if you have a website, why wouldn't you put your URL on your trucks?

I honestly can't think of a good reason, except cost of painting your truck. But in this day and age, isn't your URL more important to shout to the world than your phone number?

Yes, in the car, someone might dial that number directly from their cell right then and there. But more likely, they are going to scramble looking for a pen to write it down and call later. But a URL they can probably just remember (if you have a good one).

Looking at this from an association point-of-view, you should ask yourself, "Are we advertising ourselves the right way?" Can people find you/the information they need? Is there the right call to action? Have we made it easy for people to act? Now might be the time to take a look to see if you are on the right track. If you aren't, people might just be glancing at your truck on I-66 and forgetting all about it because what they were looking for wasn't there.

Comments

Great point. Websites are the first thing I look for -- even in selecting a restaurant.

But then I'm a believer that URLs (or twitter ids, etc.), should be on the bottom of email signatures as well. After all, you've probably worked hard to make your site/profile into exactly want you want so why not tell everyone about it?

Thanks again. Congrats on your new baby.

Popular posts from this blog

Apathy vs. Lack of Proper Training

I, like many, worked at a grocery store in high school. First a bagger, then a cashier, then the produce department. Each job required training on how to do it. I usually spent several shifts shadowing someone, then several on my own but with supervision. This method seemed to work just fine. I see it employed places other than the grocery store. Lately, I have been amazed at how poorly grocery bags are packed by store employees. I know that you have to adjust to the bag type, cloth or plastic these days, but I can't tell if the employees are lazy or just didn't get proper training. I even go as far as emptying my cart strategically to try to help - put all the cold stuff together, bread and eggs last so they can go on top, etc. But it doesn't seem to matter. I think there is a fine line between apathy and lack of training, at least trying to identify which situation it is. Anyone have any great ideas for identifing and then fixing either situation?

10 Thoughts on #ASAE10

Ok, so I could have spelled out the title, but chose the hashtag - #asae10. Supposedly there were over 8,000 tweets with the hashtag, but probably countless more direct messages of messages that left out the hashtag but were conference related. Two years ago, we were using twitter as a backchannel to talk about speakers. Now, over 800 people sent conference related tweets. If you aren't on Twitter, you are already late to the party. Anyway, on with the post... In no particular order, my thoughts on this years ASAE Annual Conference: 1. LA was a good venue. Lots to do. Hotels close by. Only downside was the rooms were a bit of a hike. 2. I missed Sunday because of family obligations. That really put me behind the 8 ball. Since I led a session, that meant I only got to go to 3 true sessions. Sorry, I don't count Joy Behar and the closing session. Although Marshall Goldsmith was good, I probably wouldn't have gone to see that speech as a Learning Lab. 3. Based on #

I have a new job

I am so very excited to announce that as of Oct. 13, I will be the new Executive Director of the Arlington Soccer Association . This is the perfect opportunity for my to combine my work experience and my education (I have a Masters in Sports Administration) with one of my true passions, soccer. I played in college and still play several times a week (which may change since I will most likely be a touch busier.) I still plan on writing this blog. My guess is that you will see the topics change slightly to focus less on membership and more on overall association management areas. Thank you to all who have helped me along the way. I don't want to list names for fear of leaving anyone out, because Lord knows there are a lot. Wish me luck!