Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Relaunching ANPMP

Back in February, I started an open source experiment creating ANPMP - Asssociation for Non-Profit Membership Professionals. Using Drupal and trying some other open source products, I wanted to create a web-based assocation with low startup costs. I actually got 8 folks on board, even though I really didn't do anything with it except post to this blog. 5 of those were people I have never met and are all outside the DC area.

Turns out, you really need time and a very good backend web/database brain to make multiple, database heavy platforms work. I didn't have the time, nor the information architecture knowledge to get this to work how I wanted. Time being the biggest factor.

So, I am relaunching just using Wordpress and bbPress. Ben's post inspired me to re-think this and try again. Plus, I have used Wordpress before, so I won't be learning a totally new thing like Drupal. My plan is to have something up by San Diego. I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Jeff Cobb said...

Matt - What problems did you run into with Drupal that you feel you won't have with WordPress?

Matt Baehr said...

It really isn't that Drupal was that bad. It is more the fact that I know Wordpress already versus trying to learn Drupal.